Monday, March 3, 2014

A week later ...

A week later and I love my teaching job.  Another student joined the class so now I have eight.  It's interesting how I fell right into teaching.  It seems so natural.  I give the first test, on Unit 1, Wednesday afternoon.  I'm nervous because I feel the test is also a reflection on my ability to teach.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I'm off today and tomorrow because it is Carnaval here, similar to Mardi Gras in New Orleans.  Nearly every business and school is closed.  Taxis are few and far between and it appears the city buses are not running.  No parade in Cuenca.  However, the fun is had by kids spraying water and silly string on passersby.  The occasional water balloon is thrown too.  Innocent fun! 

Mike is on a plane to Quito as I write this.  He is headed back to Atlanta to meet with our tax accountants and to deliver our 2013 tax documents.  His main mission is to bring back some of our belongings that are in storage.  I believe he took five suitcases.  Can't wait to see what he brings back.  I did not go because of my teaching obligation and I wanted him to have one more suitcase available for our stuff. 

I start Spanish classes on March 10th.  The classes are on Monday's and Wednesday's from 10:30am until noon and the classes last for six weeks.  I am looking forward to learning Spanish.  I just realized that I will be teaching English and learning Spanish.  Should be fun.  Also, my friend Major Mack is taking the classes with me.  We met Major Mack in Quito while we were working on our residency documents.   He is retired military.  We need to find him a girlfriend...and quick.  He seems bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment