Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sunny Saturday

Our fourth day in Quito has been relaxing and fun. We slept late, which seems to be the new norm now, ate breakfast and got up to date on all of our social media. We then took a walk to a restaurant called La Parrillita for lunch. It was a tiny little place. You would walk right past it if you were not looking for it. Mike had chicken on a stick (kabob) fries, salad, and beer. I had a hamburger, fries, and a beer. Total bill was $8.00. Each of our beers was one-liter. Yesterday we went to Condado Mall and each had grilled chicken, rice, beans, and a coke. The total bill was $9.00. Some meals are $1.50 to $2.50 so we are spending more than we have to. I have seen pizza and a coke for $1.20!!

A few minutes ago we attended a birthday party for a well mannered 14 year old young man.  He is the son of the hotel owners. All of the guests here attended and enjoyed cake and ice cream. It was fun and we had a lot of laughs.

I have really enjoyed spending time with the other guests. So many different life stories. Some sad and others inspiring. I feel like I have lived in total isolation for the last 49 years. There has been, and currently is so much going on in the world that I have not been aware of. Talking to people from other parts of the US and from other parts of the world is so educational. You've heard me say it before and I'll say it again...travel is the best education anyone can have. Books are a nice introduction but you must get out and explore what the world has to offer in order to fully appreciate it.

It's almost dinner time. The food prepared at the hotel is delicious. I thought I would lose weight here but I'm not so sure now. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. What little you're spending on meals is fascinating. You'll be spending next to nothing when you move to your apartment and can cook.

    ReplyDelete